I completed my Cersei coronation gown cosplay about six months ago now, so this is a pretty late postmortem. However, despite all of the time that’s passed, I do still feel proud of the work I did. This has been my most ambitious sewing project yet, and despite the final gown’s flaws, it’s functional and mostly screen accurate.
Here are the thoughts that have marinated in my head over the past six months:
In the season six finale of “Game of Thrones,” Cersei wears two dresses that have the same pattern. The first is her dress when she blows up the sept – it’s made of solid black leather and has epaulettes. The second is her coronation dress, which is made of perforated black leather with pauldrons. I’ve been working on the second dress.
Figuring out how to make the pauldrons admittedly took me longer than I thought, and I messed up a lot. From failed paper patterns to trying Worbla with and without foam, nothing I did seemed to give me the look I wanted. That is, until I finally figured it out. Here’s how I ultimately made the pauldrons:
Making a working pattern was the most time-consuming part of this cosplay, but now you get to see why doing all those steps was worth it. I used the final version of my pattern to make Cersei’s coronation dress from season six of “Game of Thrones.” Here’s how the sewing process went:
Creating the dress pattern was a bit of a process, so bear with me while I go through everything. Doing a mockup before cutting into the actual fabric was a must because I made the pattern and the materials are pricey. I didn’t want to make a mistake on the costly stuff and instead let myself mess up on cheap fabric. No matter what kind of sewing you do, and even if you buy a pattern, you should ALWAYS do a mockup. I’m guilty of not taking my own advice in the past, and trust me, it didn’t always pay off. Plan a trial run in your cosplay timelines.
Now, enough advice. Here’s how I made the pattern for my Cersei cosplay:
I’m finally getting back into cosplay. I took a hiatus after GenCon, but I’m back in action, trying to finish this next project for C2E2 in April. As the title suggests, I’m making Cersei’s coronation gown from season six of “Game of Thrones.” I love this dress so much. It tells me everything I need to know about Cersei’s state of mind with just a glance, and that’s exactly what great design does. So this cosplay is my love letter to the amazing costume design.
Anyway, the first step was making an underskirt. The dress only hooks closed from the neck to the waist, leaving the bottom of the skirt open. In some shots, it splits apart, giving us a peak of the underskirt. I wanted to use a fabric that had some texture but wouldn’t distract from the dress. So, I went with a thick black fabric that had a velvety design on it. My camera had a difficult time picking up the print, so sorry for the lack of detail.
Additionally, the underskirt is a necessary part of this costume because it hides the petticoat. The dress has a bit of a bell shape, which I can’t achieve without foundational garments.
My friends and I wore 1940s-inspired Teen Titans cosplays to GenCon 2016. I’ve already posted about how I made my costume (Starfire), and I wanted to share what all of our outfits looked like.
I’m a little late posting this, but in edition to my Link cosplay, my friends and I did a group costume inspired by Teen Titans. Instead of going representational, we did a mashup with the classic film noir aesthetic and tropes – that means 1940s fashion!
I cosplayed as a ’40s Starfire. She’s always been my favorite from the show from the early 2000s. She’s cute, smart and strong, a combination I don’t always see and feel like culture says doesn’t exist (woman are usually portrayed as pretty and weak or strong and not traditionally feminine). Her character showed me I could be intelligent and strong, whether it was obvious on the outside or not.
I didn’t capture much of the construction for this cosplay (sorry, gang), but here’s what I do have: