Making a working pattern was the most time-consuming part of this cosplay, but now you get to see why doing all those steps was worth it. I used the final version of my pattern to make Cersei’s coronation dress from season six of “Game of Thrones.” Here’s how the sewing process went:
Choosing the Fabrics
I actually started looking for fabric for this costume before I ever started working on it. I wanted the costume to be as close to the original as possible, and I did fairly well.
The coronation dress is different from the gown Cersei wears when she blows up the sept – same dress pattern, different fabrics. That dress is made of solid leather. The coronation dress, on the other hand, is constructed with perforated leather placed on top of a silver-and-black brocade.
I found the perforated leather on Etsy – the shop is called SoundOfBlooming. It’s a laser-cut vinyl that exactly matches the raindrop-and-circle pattern on Cersei’s dress. If you get it for yourself, note that it’s a little pricey and ships from China, so it’ll take a little while to arrive. However, the shop owner is very communicative, and the fabric is fantastic. I would definitely recommend going through her shop.
I did not find an exact match for the layer beneath the vinyl. Cersei’s has this very fine cross-hatch pattern. I looked on Etsy and every fabric store (online and in person) I could think of. Ultimately, I had to settle.
I first tried a silver stretch taffeta. The structure and color were great, but it looked a little too much like polished metal once I started putting pieces together. So, I took the dress apart and went a different route. Instead, I ended up with a silver and white brocade that has a curving chevron pattern. It’s a little light (it should be black rather than white), but the pattern reads!
Finally, I chose a simple black fabric for the lining.
Putting it Together
I basically sewed the dress twice: once for the lining and a second time for the shell. I did the lining first. Here’s the order in which I sewed the pieces together:
- Back sides to back center.
- Front sides to front center.
- Back center.
- Sleeve and sides (all in one line).
- Collar back (don’t attach to dress neckline yet).
I also serged the seams along the way once I was satisfied the dress fit. Lining frays like crazy, so I needed to finish those edges! Here’s the assembled shell and lining, without the collar, on my dress form.
Once I had that for both the shell and the lining, I worked on the collar. At first, it was only two pieces, but I found out that it wouldn’t hug the curve of my neck like that. I ended up adding two more seams for a total of three. Each collar seam had a C curve that mimicked the shape of my neck. I did that for both the lining and shell.
I also added fusible interfacing to the shell of my collar to help it stand up. With the interfacing on, I sewed the shell and lining together at the top of the collar, as shown in the photo below.
Next, I attached the shell and lining, following the steps in this YouTube video. The YouTuber makes a bomber jacket, and because the Cersei dress is basically a jacket, the video was a perfect reference. Basically, I started with the collar and hem, followed by the sleeves, finishing off with the center. I ironed and topstiched the center seams.
With all of the seams enclosed, I added the final touches: hooks (to keep the dress closed) and Velcro (to hold the pauldrons). The hooks extended from the collar to the waist. While the Velcro isn’t exactly period appropriate or very pretty to look at, it kept the pauldrons on securely throughout C2E2, so I think it was worth sacrificing authenticity.