After GenCon this year, I needed something fun and easy to sew – shake off that con crunch! I found some fun licensed fabric at Joann, and now here we are! This is how I made a simple sundress featuring Baymax from “Big Hero 6.”
I didn’t immediately know what I wanted the dress to look like, but I knew what kind of skirt I wanted. If you’ve read any of my other fashion one-off blogs, you’ve probably noticed I’m kind of obsessed with pleats right now. So, I decided to make box pleats for this dress.
I started by cutting out two long, identical rectangles: one out of the Baymax fabric and one out of plain, white cotton. Because the shell is a little see-through, I wanted a lining, and cotton is light and comfortable.
Next, I basted the two pieces together along the top edge. That way, when I pleated the pieces of fabric, they shouldn’t shift around.
I didn’t do all of the math usually involved with pleats. I just started in the middle by making a box pleat I liked, then repeated the measurements down the whole rectangle. Once pinned, I sewed down the pleats.
I went through a few ideas before I settled on the bodice I eventually went with. It’s only three pieces (front, left back, and right back), and it also has a lining. I draped the pattern on my dress form and made a few adjustments before moving forward.
I first inserted darts along the side seams on the front and front lining. Then I sewed the sides to both the front and front lining. That gave me two bodices: one made of the Baymax fabric and one made of the cotton.
Because I was making the straps out of bias tape, putting the shell and lining together was a piece of cake! I just put the two pieces wrong sides together, then wrapped the neckline and arm holes with the tape. The straps were formed by continuing the front neckline to the back.
Putting Them Together
With the bodice and skirt done, I sewed the pieces together at the waist using my overlock machine.
That left the back open. I inserted an orange invisible zipper to match the color of Baymax’s armor. It’s more red in the film, but for whatever reason, the fabric looked orange. Once the zipper looked good, I sewed the remainder of the back seam together and finished the dress off with a hem.
I used my sewing machine to hem the lining, but I did a blind stitch by hand on the shell. I wanted the seam to be invisible.
For the most part, I think this dress turned out nicely. The only change I would make is actually to the pattern. I should have added darts at the waist so the bodice tapered. But I left those out, so the dress doesn’t really hug my curves – it just makes me look even more rectangular than I already am. Despite that, I’m happy with this dress. Though, I won’t really get to wear it until spring – yay, Chicago winters!