I used some of my Christmas money to buy sewing and cosplay supplies, which included some sweet gold and black knit fabric. It feels a little like sweater material, and not as rough as it looks. With New Year’s on the way (I bought the fabric the day after Christmas), I decided to make a party shirt. Here’s what I did:
Drafting the Pattern
I traced a dress I have that fits me well in order to make the shirt pattern. Of course, my shirt pattern didn’t use the whole length of the dress – I just stopped where I wanted the shirt to end.
The back neckline is one of my favorite features of the dress, which is why I decided to trace it. It drops low, showing off my shoulder blades.
I started with a rough sketch, which I then refined using my new styling/fashion ruler. Next, I added seam allowance and cut the pattern in half – I’ll cut my fabric on the fold.
For the back piece, I used the front pattern, but lowered the neckline.
I drew the sleeve pattern to be long, but I didn’t end up having enough fabric. So, I just made this a short-sleeve shirt instead.
Once I cut out the front and back and two sleeves, I started sewing. I started by attaching the front and back pieces at the shoulders.
Next, I attached the sleeves to the arm holes. Going in this order allows me to easily make adjustments to the arm hole. It’s a good thing, too, because my arm hold ended up being longer than my sleeve. But it was a simple fix later when I sewed up the shirt sides and bottom of the sleeve – I just cut off the access fabric from the side of the shirt.
I then hemmed the sleeves and serged up the sides of the shirt and bottom of the sleeve.
With that, the shape of the shirt was basically done, but I had some refining to do. To finish the neckline, I cut a piece of the fabric out of some scraps. I folded the long strip in half, wrong sides together, and serged the raw edges together. Then, I attached the serged edge of the strip to the right side of the raw edge of my neckline.
Because the strip was shorter than the circumference of my neckline, I pulled the strip while sewing to stretch it out. With that in place, I top stitched the shirt fabric down. That way, it laid nice and flat.
The final step was hemming the bottom.
The Finished Shirt
This project was easy and fun – it took an afternoon to complete. Plus, I got a sparkly shirt for New Year’s! Even though I wanted this to be long-sleeved, I’m still happy with how it turned out. The back is my favorite.