I decided to be Fionna the human (the genderbent Finn from “Adventure Time”) for Halloween. I love the show, Finn is one of my three fictional characters and the costume is easy to put together – mostly just bought pieces. However, I did need to make the bunny hat. It was super easy and a lot of fun. So if you’re planning to make the hat (whether it’s Finn’s or Fionna’s), check out what I did.
Also, as you saw from the embedded video, I finally got my YouTube channel up and running! Stay tuned for more videos. I’m working on a Baymax dress right now 😀
Making the Pattern
I looked through several patterns online to find the one I liked best. I landed on this one from another blogger. The post included an image of pattern, which I just copied freehand and adjusted to fit my head.
I had to tape two pieces of printer paper together to have enough space for the hat. I also altered the pattern online to have bunny ears, which I also freehanded.
Once drawn, I cut out two hats and four ears.
First, I assembled the ears. I just faced two ears right sides together and sewed around the outside. Once I checked how that looked, I used my serger to finish the seams. The fabric I bought was so fuzzy, pieces got everywhere, and finishing the edges helped reduce the mess.
I left the bottoms of each ear open so I could insert wiring. I originally bought some jewelry wire, but it wasn’t sturdy enough. I didn’t have time to go back to the store, so I just grabbed boning I already had. I inserted the boning and fitted the ears around it. This ensured the ears kept their shape. I think if I were to redo anything, I’d just fill the ears with pillow fiber – they may have stood up better that way.
Next, I sewed together the little Vs at the top of the lining. This created the top sides of the hat. For the lining, that’s all I had to do. But for the shell, I had to add in the ears. So once the lining was done, I placed the ears in the shell Vs and sewed.
Then, I sewed down the crown of the hat on the lining and shell and finished all of the seams on my serger.
Combing the Shell and Lining
With both the shell and lining set, I could sew the two pieces together. I placed the shell inside the shell, right sides together and sewed all along the outside, leaving a gap to flip everything right-side out.
I then finished the seam and ironed everything once it was facing the right way. Finally, I folded the remaining raw edges in and sewed them together with my machine.
That was it! This was such a quick project, and I had a blast making it (despite the fuzzes still clinging to my carpet)! If you’re a beginner sewer, this is a great way to learn some basic techniques and dress up as an “Adventure Time” character.