When planning this cosplay, I assumed the pants would take awhile because they’re more complex than the other pieces. However, the whole process was actually a helluva lot of fun!
I bought a slim-leg pants pattern from Joann for this garment. I don’t have enough experience with pants to draft my own. This one was straightforward and easy to follow, which probably helped keep the process smooth.
I cut out the size 12 – definitely read the measurements and suggestions on the back, as the pattern runs large.
I wanted a denim fabric that was both sturdy and stretchy, so I went with a blend that’s 90-something percent cotton and a couple percent spandex (I don’t remember the exact ratio).
The only fabric available at Joann was stark white – not the cream color Link has in my reference images. So, I dyed it! I used Rit in tan.
In the photo, you can see the original fabric on the right and the dyed-tan version on the left.
To dye the fabric, I put it in a tub with cold water and the full bottle of Rit. I let it soak, occasionally stirring, for half an hour. I then thoroughly washed by hand with hot water and detergent.
So, the size 12 was a little big, and I ended up taking in the outer seams. However, the rest of the sewing went well. I only had to make the sizing adjustment at the end.
I also nixed the zipper the pattern calls for in favor of laces – I thought it would look more in-line with the rest of the costume design. To do that, I used the same setting on my machine as I did for the tunic.
I also used my serger to finish all of the seams.
Overall, these pants fit great, they’re comfortable and I can move in them. I don’t have photos of me wearing them yet, but I’ll eventually shoot something with the finished pieces on.