Up until now, I’ve been calling this series “Wii U Link Cosplay,” but now that’s a little outdated. E3 was last week, and we learned that the new Zelda game is going to be called “Breath of the Wild.” So, from this post on, any blogs about my Link costume will be “BotW Link Cosplay.” I could go back and change all the old ones, but that sounds like unnecessary work. I did, however, change the name of the category.
But names aren’t why we’re here! Today, I’m sharing the finished tunic (cue the music for when Link opens a treasure chest).
I did a combination of machine and hand embroidery on this garment to save time but still give myself a little more freedom. Basically, any straight lines you see were done with the zig-zag setting on my machine – I just reduced the spacing between the stitches to 1 and upped the width of each stitch to 4-5.
I’m not good at hand stitching, but this project was definitely a chance to practice. I think I’ve improved! Overall, I’m happy with the outcome.
Sadly, though, the new E3 content revealed that my original designs are slightly off. Really, it’s nothing to get upset about – the angles are a bit different. Oh well! What can you do when you have outdated source material? I don’t have time to go back and fix it, so this is what I have!
Part of the reason I bought the sewing machine I have now is because it has tons of buttonhole settings. I used one in particular to finish the holes through which I’d lace the front of the tunic. It’s basically just a circle, but sewing it on a machine is, again, faster than doing it by hand.
Once the stitches were in place, I punched holes in the fabric with my trusty scissors and laced the shirt up using faux-leather, blue string.
OK, so it’s really more of one final thought: I hate the thread I used. I wanted something with more dimension than standard white thread, so I bought a opalescent spool. It certainly looks nice, but it’s such a pain to work with. It looks like it’s nylon or plasicy something wrapped around normal fibers. Often, the nylon would slide down the natural fibers, messing up the whole thread.
Unless I have to, I will NOT use this thread again. I wasted a ton of it every time the tread caught.
And there you have it: My totally complete tunic! As of right now, I’m almost done with the pants, too, so expect a post about that in the near future.