Wii U Link Cosplay: Construction and Embellishment Part 2

link, cosplay, legend of zelda, diy, sewing, shoulder pads

Since last I left off on the tunic, I have attached the sleeves to the vest, finished the neck and hemlines, and just about wrapped up the embroidering. Stitching by hand has taken a long time, but I think the effort has been worth the results.

The Sleeves

sleeves, link, wii, u, legend, of, zelda, cosplay, diy, sewing, blue, ebroidery

Once the sleeve decorations were done, I stitched the under seam to create little loops. I then pressed the seams before attaching the sleeves to the vest.

The sleeves didn’t need any adjusting in the mockup I did, and the same was true for the actual garment, so that saved time.

The Neckline

sleeves, link, wii, u, legend, of, zelda, cosplay, diy, sewing, blue, ebroidery, understitch

I decided to understitch the neckline, as this technique helps maintain the form and gives the garment a clean lay. Understitching requires a lining that you attach (right sides together), invert, then stitch in place.

I was originally going to make the lining with one continuous piece of fabric, but the cotton I bought wasn’t wide enough, so I had to piece it together. I used the unfinished neckline as my guide.

sleeves, link, wii, u, legend, of, zelda, cosplay, diy, sewing, blue, ebroidery, understitch

Once that was stitched together, I sewed it to the neckline, flipped it inside out, and pressed it. To finish things off, I sewed around the edge of the neckline.

sleeves, link, wii, u, legend, of, zelda, cosplay, diy, sewing, blue, ebroidery, understitch

As you can see from the photo, I also serged the outer edges of the lining so it wouldn’t fray.

The Shoulder Pads

link, legend, of, zelda, cosplay, wii, u, shoulder pads, sewing, diy

I intentionally made the shoulders a little wide for my frame, and that’s because I want to give the illusion of having a bigger body. After all, I’m crossplaying, and Link’s shoulders are certainly wider than mine.

However, this illusion will only work if the shoulders are filled out. So, I installed shoulder pads. I found them for a couple of dollars at a warehouse sale, and they fit perfectly. I just tacked them on in three spots along the sleeve seam.

You can also sort of see the neck lining in the above photo.

In my next post, I’ll talk about the embroidery (which will be done soon) and the eyelets for the front opening/lacing. Stay tuned!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Wii U Link Cosplay: Construction and Embellishment Part 2

    • Hahaha. I made this pattern. It’s pretty easy, though. You can trace a T-shirt that fits you well and modify it from there. I did a mockup first to make sure it fit how I wanted it to. 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s