I’m back from the break I took to sew a dress, which means it’s time for a cosplay progress update!
In my last post about Link, I had finished a mockup. Since then, I’ve cut the actual fabric, did a test fit and started adding details. Check it out:
I ordered a wool-poly blend fabric (I think it was 80/20) in a bright blue color. It’s thick – think peacoat material – but I wanted wool because that’s what tunics were made of in the middle ages. Since the Zelda games have a lot of medieval influence, I’ve been using those styles and materials for inspiration.
While I’ll likely end up sweating my way through GenCon in this wool, it has been incredibly easy to work with. It clings to itself, so it didn’t slide while I was sewing.
I haven’t gotten far in construction because I’m doing some of the embellishments before putting all of the pieces together.
Before starting, however, I sketched what I wanted to add, drawing inspiration from the few images available from the game and fan art.
I decided to embroider all of the white detailing using a pearlescent thread. I feel like plain white would have been a little flat, so I wanted something with sheen. However, this thread is a pain. It’s sort of plasticy and gets caught in the fabric and my machine. Hopefully, the final product will be worth it.
You might be able to tell from the picture, but I drew the details on the fabric with chalk, then outlined them in blue thread to give myself a guide. I haven’t done a lot of embroidery before, so I wanted to make sure this was sharp. I’m still debating about whether I should put a bead in the center of the large diamond. I might add it and see how I feel.