After making a pattern for Link’s tunic, I wanted to sew a mock-up. That way, if the pattern wasn’t perfect, I’d make the mistakes on scrap fabric rather than the wool I’ll use for the actual garment – it’s a cost-saving measure.
I used random scraps to put the mock-up together, so it’s a little colorful. Just picture the shirt in all blue.
Unlike the undershirt I made last month, I want to take my time with the tunic. It’s the eye-catcher of Link’s outfit, the garment that pulls his whole look together. So, I started by draping and then drafting a pattern.
Link’s belt bag actually took less time than I thought it would, considering I had to sew leather by hand – that stuff is NOT finger-friendly!
When I left off, I had attached the belt loops and fastening straps, which left only the side seams.
As far as I can tell from watching the teaser trailer over and over, Link has two belt bags. It’s difficult to see exactly what they look like, other than leather, so the bags are pretty open to interpretation.
I finally got rid of an old messenger bag I had. It was made of leather and canvas, and the fabric had ripped apart. Fortunately, the leather is in great shape! In the spirit of reduce, reuse, recycle, I removed the leather and have started using it to make one of Link’s bags.
Here’s what I’ve done so far: